It’s been a while since I shared a new recipe with you guys. Our travels last year made cooking pretty much non-existent, but it feels good to finally have my own kitchen again. While we always had access to a kitchen, it’s not quite as easy when you don’t have all the appliances, utensils, and even food items that you’re used too!
Today’s recipe is a vegetarian one (sticking to my 2019 goals to eat less meat, plus this hits one of my January goals: trying new recipes). These sweet potato fajitas are full of flavor AND there’s plenty of room for your own experimentation.
I also love the amount of color in this dish – from the sweet potatoes to the red and green peppers…when food LOOKS this delicious, even your meat loving friends won’t be able to resist. And the leftovers, if you have any, are perfect for a breakfast burrito or quesadilla.
Scroll down for the full recipe, AND if you have any favorite meatless dishes, share them in the comments!
XO – Courtney
Sweet Potato Fajitas
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
• 1-2 sweet potatoes
• 1 T olive oil
• 2 t soy sauce
• 2 t chile powder
• 2 t cumin
• 1/2 t salt–
INGREDIENTS FOR THE VEGGIES
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 green bell pepper
• 1 white onion
• 4 garlic cloves
• 2 T cooking oil
• 1 t chile powder
• 1 t cumin
• 1/2 t salt
• lime slices
1. Slice the potatoes into 1/2″ slabs (about 4 slabs/potato). Lay them on a large plate.
2. Prepare the marinade: Mix the olive oil, soy sauce, chile powder, cumin, and salt together. Drizzle the marinade over the potatoes so they are evenly coated. Flip so that both sides get coated. Let sit for 20 minutes.
3. While the potatoes are marinating, preheat the oven to 425°F, slice up all the veggies, and chop the garlic.
4. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Flip then cook for an additional 10 minutes or until they are done.
5. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a skillet and add the peppers and onions. Cook on high until they soften then add the garlic, chile powder, cumin, and salt. Cook for about 15 minutes.
6. When the sweet potatoes and veggies are almost ready, heat up your tortillas. Once the sweet potatoes are done, slice them up and begin assembling your fajitas with the sweet potatoes and veggies. Top off with a squeeze of lime and enjoy!