Recently, I took a 5 day trip to Belgium, and I managed to pack only my backpack + one small crossbody purse. And as we speak, I’m in Milan for 2 nights with just my backpack. I had a few people ask me for some packing tips, so here it is!
I wasn’t always an efficient packer. And let’s be honest. . .I will still overpack for many trips in the future, and sometimes that’s ok. But when you absolutely cant afford to overpack (literally because some airlines charge an arm + a leg for luggage), here’s a few tips to help:
1. Make a list (or two).
One for things to pack + one for things to buy. This way you won’t be scrambling to pack last minute which can lead to overpacking OR forgetting something. And there’s nothing worse than realizing the night before you leave that you’re out of travel size toothpaste!
2. Plan outfits ahead of time.
Consider weather, location, and activities. Then add them to your list.
3. Ladies, DRESSES are your best friend.
Dresses are so easy to pack, so even if you only have a small bag to bring, you could probably pack one for each day.
4. Alternatively, pack pieces that you can mix + match.
If dresses aren’t your thing or it’s simply too cold, mixing + matching is the way to go. For denim, try packing 1 or 2 pairs that will go with a few different tops. Or pack a top that could be styled in different ways. If you need to pack a coat or sweater, choose wisely. And wear it instead of trying to cram it in your bag.
5. Only pack toiletries you actually need.
This is where I tend to overpack. Seriously, do you need a different moisturizer for morning + night? No. Do you need every eyeshadow you own? No. You can live without some of the extras for a few days.
6. Find the perfect backpack.
If you’re trying to pack light, you need the perfect bag. Backpacks are great because they are easy to carry, and you can keep your hands free. But finding one that is stylish, durable, and spacious is essential. Check out a few options below:
SO WHAT WAS IN MY BACKPACK?
• 1 travel outfit (I wore the same t-shirt, black leggings, white sneakers, and a camel cardigan on my travel days)
• 4 dresses
• 1 sweater
• ONE pair of shoes (My white sneakers could easily be matched with the dresses + were comfortable for walking around the city in the rain or shine)
• 1 small toiletry bag
• Other travel essentials (Passport, Ipad, Chargers, Sunglasses, Hat, etc.)
I hope this helps you guys out with packing! Do you guys have any other packing tips? Let me know in the comments!
XO – Courtney